Monday, March 11, 2013

What I'm Reading II

A while back, I mentioned making this a regular feature.  While my intentions were good, I was having a lot of trouble finding time to read, and was therefore in the same books for much longer than I'm used to.  I have now adopted a reading schedule, which is working out quite well for me.  It looks a little like this:

~4:00 p.m. (or whenever Baby goes down for her afternoon nap)-
Set alarm on phone for 12 minutes.
Read Daytime Book as fast as possible.

~3:00 a.m. (or whenever Baby wakes up to eat in the night)-
Yawn my way through turning on the Kindle.
Read Nighttime Book until my eyes close.

It's hard to read while I'm nursing her if she's not groggy.  She might be part monkey, you see, and enjoys kicking, slapping, and twisting her body around so that I can't hold the book while I'm also holding her.  If I lay the book behind her head on the couch, she arches her back to reach the pages and pull them out of the book (not letting go of her source of food, mind you, while she contorts herself).  If my sense of modesty would allow it, I would post a video or some pictures of her during her feedings, as it really is quite a humorous sight.  But, I'm proud to say that there are no pictures of my bosoms on the whole, wide internet, and I'd like to keep it that way.  
She is as sweet and innocent as she looks in this picture, but she is rarely as still.
Back to the topic at hand, which was neither Baby nor breastfeeding.  Books!

I'm finding myself anxiously awaiting my 12 minutes of reading time since I started The Fault In Our Stars by John Green.  I can't give a true percentage of how far into it I am, since I'm reading the hardcover with actual pages, loaned to me by a friend, but I'm more than halfway through. 

So far, it's wonderful.  It's sad in parts, but not in the way of some tearjerker books that seem to use vocabupuncture (literary acupuncture where the words are needles, poking your tear ducts) to produce bouts of uncontrollable sobbing.  I've also laughed aloud a couple of times, and I've found myself reflecting on it as I go about my day.  I'm having one of those great reading experiences in which I don't want the book to end, but I also can hardly wait to find out what happens.  Reminds me of my first 10k race, in Niagara Falls, where it was so beautiful and running felt so marvelous that I didn't ever want to stop, but I also couldn't wait to finish and see how well I had done. (Ha!  Bet you didn't think I could relate reading to racing!)

My nighttime book is the latest one my book group is reading.  It was chosen by my sister the Boston Qualified marathon runner.  I expect the book will be only slightly less inspirational than it was to see her finish for the cause of fighting breast cancer.  Chrissie Wellington is an elite triathlete, and her story is both interesting and easy(ish) to relate to.  I've read 13% of it so far, before falling asleep on the couch or being able to put Baby back to bed and crawl back under the covers for some real sleep myself.

You may be able to guess today's advice- schedule in some time to do what you enjoy, even if it's only for a few minutes. Some is better than none!

Whatcha reading?

3 comments:

  1. Currently reading:
    "The Eye of the World: Book One of The Wheel of Time" by Robert Jordan.
    Actually I am listening to this on CD as I drive all over creation. I realize that this is only the beginning of a 15 book marathon. It could easily take me more than a year to listen to all of the books.

    "The Fellowship of the Ring: Being the First Part of the Lord of the Rings" by J.R.R. Tolkien - I am reading this aloud to my daughters.

    "The Death of a Disco Dancer" by David Clark
    I am just about to start this for my book group that meets next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm getting ready to STOP reading a book because its author seems to have NO IDEA how to do BASIC RESEARCH before including certain specific references in his story. Couple examples:
    * In one character's back-story, he started a Limited Liability Partnership (LLP) YEARS before such an option even existed.
    * Multiple instances of characters removing batteries from their iPhones, which is tricky since no iPhone EVER has had a removable battery.

    Combine these (to me) glaring inconsistencies with flawed, highly improbable plot elements and - yeah. I'm done.

    I think it's time for another round of Tad Williams' "Otherland."
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not finishing books is pretty new to me, but I've done it a lot lately. I've returned 4(?) real library books, unfinished, in the past year, and 2 Kindle library books. I guess if every book was good, it would diminish the value of the greats.

      Delete